On the south coast of Great Banda was the hamlet of Oerien, which was the station of the VOC chief of the eponymous post. The chief had a residence there. The ‘perkeniers’ who had a nutmeg garden within the territory of Oerien, were required to sell their produce to the chief residing here. Around 1629, the redoubt of Oerien was built to protect the area. The redoubt, which was also called Storm, had fallen into disuse around the middle of the 18th century.