Porca, slightly to the north of Kayankulam, fell under the aegis of the king of Cochin. The latter-day name of the village is Purakkad. Porca was originally a British trading post that was captured by the Dutch in 1666. The VOC finally succeeded in clinching a friendship treaty with the rajah of Porca in 1724. The Company subsequently built a stone lodge and a storage depot for pepper. Just as in Ponnani, the VOC appointed a resident here. The Dutch controlled the pepper monopoly from Porca to Cranganore.