Castela, also known by the names Gamlamo or Gammelamme, was a major city on the west coast of the island of Ternate. The first fort was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Behind the walls of the fort lay the town, with its churches, schools and houses. In 1575 a local ruler came to power. He was overthrown in 1606 when the Spanish conquered Gamlamo. In subsequent years the city, now known as Nostra Senhora del Rosario, flourished. In 1663 the Spaniards were driven out, the fort destroyed and the town taken over by the Dutch.