Coastline profiles around Ternate and Tidore
Jolinck, Heyndrick Dircxz.
On 22 May 1599 the ships Amsterdam and Utrecht, part of the Tweede Schipvaart to the East Indies, arrived at Ternate. Here they sought to trade for cloves and establish ties with the Sultan of the island realm. Heyndrick Dirrecksen Jolinck, helmsman of the Amsterdam, drew these coastal profiles of the area in the journal.
On the top left is a profile of the small island of Hiri (here spelled 'Hijrij', directly to the north of Ternate. Jolinck mentions it was inhabited, and shows the island in northeast and north direction at about 7 miles distance. This profile is followed by one of Ternate itself, with its city (presumably Gamelame), showing the mosque, the old Portuguese Saint Paul's church and the old Portuguese castle there. On the right page, two coastal profiles of Tidore's west coast, with the village of Mareko, as seen from 3 miles distance when the mountain is at north and east direction. Beneath it, the profile additionally shows the land of Halmahera, which he here calls ‘Gilolo’, as it looms up behind Tidore. Underneath, the small island of Mare, just to the south of Tidore, is depicted. Finally, on the bottom right, another coastal profile of Makian and Moti further south.Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.