View of the east coast of Ternate
Title on object: De stadt Malaya ende Tolouco gelegen aen de oost sijde vandt eijlandt Ternate
The view shows the east coast of the volcanic island of Ternate, and the capital of the eponymous sultanate. The capital of Ternate was originally located on the south side of the island. When this town was captured by the Spanish and their Tidorese allies in 1606, the Ternatan leaders sought help from the VOC, which proved unable to reconquer the old capital of Gamalama, but instead founded a new one on the east coast. The island would be divided in two spheres during the subsequent decades.
This watercolour depicts the new capital Melayo with the VOC fort Oranje. Slightly further to the right the originally Portuguese fort Tolukko.
Another copy: Österreichische Nationalbibliothek Van der Hem 40:12.
Part of the Carte di Castello, collected by Cosimo de Medici III in 1667 and 1669 during his tours through Europe. Cosimo III bought the 66 watercolours by Vingboons in December 1667 in Amsterdam, through mediation of Pieter Blaeu.Please contact Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana for reuse and copyrights.