Khambat, or Cambaya, was a moderately sized trading town situated on a river not far from the coast. It was inaccessible for larger vessels as at ebb tide the river virtually ran dry. In 1617 the VOC opened a trading base in Khambat, but this base was permanently manned only until 1634. According to the local inhabitants, the subsequent decline in trade resulted from the arrival of the Dutch and English, who had driven out the Portuguese. The VOC mainly bought cotton fabrics in Khambat. The compilers of this database have not as yet come across a source in the literature that identifies this location as a VOC post.
- [Coolhaas, uitg. Van Linschoten Ver.], Pieter van den Broecke in Azië ([Den Haag], )