Zeelandia, fort (Paramaribo)

The uncompleted English Fort Willoughby fell into Dutch hands in 1667 and was definitively handed over to Abraham Crijnssen in May 1668. Its construction was completed under his interim-administration up to 1669 and under Governor Cornelis van Aerssen van Sommelsdijck after 1683 an earthen outer fort was added to a fort now known as Zeelandia. In subsequent decades, both the construction and situation of the fort proved problematic, and numerous plans were suggested for its improvement, overhaul and even its removal.